BAMBOO : QUALITIES AND BENEFITS
BAMBOO IS THE MOST ECOLOGICAL RESOURCE ON OUR PLANET!
- There are over 1,200 species of bamboo
- This amazing plant grows in tropical and temperate environments and is very hardy, not needing pesticides or herbicides to grow well
- It is a type of grass and grows directly from the roots
- When bamboo is cut it quickly grows back
- Most species maturing in 3-5 years
- Can be harvested every year for 80 to 120 years
- Bamboo is often labeled ‘the world’s most renewable material’ and is the fastest growing woody plant in the world
- It can grow up to one metre in one day, and absorbs five times more carbon dioxide than trees
- It produces 35% more oxygen than the same area planted with trees
- It requires little or no irrigation, depending on the environment
- It rarely needs replanting
- It LOCKS carbon
- It is an excellent soil erosion inhibitor
BAMBOO : STRUCTURAL USES
- According to UNESCO, 70 hectares of bamboo produces enough material to build 1000 houses. If timber was used instead, it would require the felling of trees from an already diminishing supply of forests worldwide
- Equal to steel in tensile strength, while maintaining flexibility
- Today, over one billion people in the world live in bamboo houses
- It is being used in road reinforcements in India and it is also used to build bridges in China, capable of supporting trucks that weigh as much as 16 tons
Don’t just take our word for it!
Please see below a host of links to just a portion of the quality and peer reviewed information about bamboo.
Curios? Contact Us!